So lately there is a major movement to embrace our natural selves-mentally, physically, emotionally-in all aspects of our life. I am HERE FOR IT! I’m all about being as authentic as you want to be and doing whatever makes you feel good about yourself. One of those movements is towards embracing our natural hair texture, and I love the curly girl routine. Everybody looks so beautiful. The curly girl routine inspired me to modify it to create a wavy girl routine. My natural hair texture is thick and wavy, and I never knew how to style my waves and leave them down. I’d always heat style or put my up. However, with the summer heat and excessive humidity, heat styling went out the window so I started exploring the curly girl routine-and ultimately landed up doing the wavy girl routine. So this is a big big work in progress, and I will be trying other products as soon as I finish these, but check out my process below!
- Oil-First step is to oil my hair before washing it. Since I’m dealing with the postpartum hair shedding, oiling my hair is very important to strengthen the cuticles. Currently, I’m using-Kaaira Care Pro Keratin Hair Oil for Scalp Nourishment*. The oil is paraben free, sulfate free, organic, and helps with scalp nourishment and shedding.
- Shampoo-After oiling my hair, I wash it out with a Curly Girl Shampoo. I’m currently using the Curl Moisturizing Shampoo from the brand Curl Up. I actually came across this brand on an Instagram ad, and it being a local, Indian brand is what inspired me to try the wavy girl routine for myself.
- Conditioner-So honestly, I was skeptical about the curly girl products, in general, so I didn’t even bother to buy the conditioner. Plus, I wanted to finish my existing conditioner before I buy another conditioner. So currently, I’m using the Hydrating Tea Tree & Mint Conditioner by Ogx, and I’m very happy with it. It keeps my hair moisturized and healthy. I leave in my hair for about 5 minutes and then wash it out.
- Curling Cream-The first product I ever bought on this natural hair journey is the curling cream. Also from Curl Up, the Curl Defining Cream was such a pleasant surprise for me. Without any other curly girl products in my routine, I saw results. Therefore, I was immediately inspired to buy more products. After conditioning my hair, I rake the curling cream through different sections of my hair and then detangle and create the curl clumps with a Denman Brush. Fun Fact, all of these products are activated by water, so the wetter the hair, the better the results. Whenever my hair is a little dry, or even towel dried, I simply spray some more water in my hair to activate the products well.
- Gel: Finally, after the sections are defined, I scrunch the sections up with Curl Up’s Ultra Defining Hair Gel, and let my hair air dry-voila-pretty, defined waves.
So that is my current wavy girl routine. It’s still a work in progress. Sometimes the entire look is frizzy while other times its on point. Therefore, I’m still learning as I go, but I’m enjoying every minute of it! What do you guys think?
*I am collaborating with this brand.